Thank you for making me feel so welcome in warm and sunny Cairns again this year! I’ve had a terrific week and I’m already looking forward to coming back and blowing things up again next year.
As promised here, below are all the links to more information about the fascinating facts I was singing and dancing about this week. I hope they help. And if, in the future, you feel that my ‘almond in a pool noodle’ explanation of digestion and the fact that the we exhale 84.12% of the weight we ‘lose’ as invisible carbon dioxide gas, has helped you or your pupils approach eating and drinking differently, I would LOVE to hear from you some time.
Have a happy National Science Week, study hard, play harder and have fun. And see you all in 2014!
1. The world is getting more peaceful (book by Steven Pinker)
> here’s a brilliant video 37min of Steven summarising the book
2. I’ve been tying my shoelaces the wrong way (TED video)
3. Humans hatch like chickens (UNSW Embryology page)
4. We owe our health to Henrietta Lacks
> the book about Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
5. Effect of sugary drinks on retinal arterioles of 12 year olds
> here’s a press release about this research in layman’s terms
6. Effect of sugary sports drinks on teeth (same goes for soft drink & juice)
7. Roller Coaster clip of Elephant’s Toothpaste
8. Safer DIY Elephant’s Toothpaste (with 6% H2O2)
9. Video of slot car + sparkler + hydrogen balloon
10. My old high school “Kepnock SHS”… just like yours